Recent changes to the way states collect and report their network condition data to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has created a need for higher-quality calibration of state-owned or consultant-utilized data-collection equipment. Through Data Quality Management Plans (DQMPs) that have been developed by each state (mandated through 23 CFR 490) and approved by FHWA state Division Offices, there is a recurring need for quality measurements and subsequent high-level analysis of survey equipment. The survey equipment (such as profilometers, Laser Crack Measurement Systems, Pavement Friction Testers, Distance Measuring devices, and the like) must be calibrated and checked to ensure the quality of the data being produced meets minimum criteria. In addition, standard protocols for data collection, validation, verification, and other quality management processes must be administered, and strictly followed.
For the states in the New England that own and operate their own survey vehicles, it is critical to ensure that their data collection equipment and operations fulfill the requirements of their DQMP while not creating excessive work for agency officials. For the states outsourcing data-collection surveys, it is critical to ensure any quality management protocols used by the consultant align with both long-term agency needs and FHWA-approved state DQMPs.
Specific goals of this project:
- Review northeast state Data Quality Management Plans for pavement condition data.
- Summarize verification sites used in the northeast with potential for inter-agency sharing.
- Develop recommendations for regional efficiencies in collection and analysis of QC/QA data for each of the participating transportation agencies.
- Develop or adapt forms and macros as “Best Practices” recommendations to assist states with data reporting requirements for compliance with FHWA approved DQMPs.
Technical Committee Members
- TC Chair, John Henault: Conencticut Department of Transportation
- Anne Carter, Maine Department of Transportation
- Jonathan Smith, Massachusetts Department of Transportation
- Eric Thibodeau, New Hampshire Department of Transportation
- Deidre Nash, New Hampshire Department of Transportation
- Paul Petsching, Rhode Island Department of Transportation
- Reid Kiniry, Vermont Agency of Transportation
AC Liaison: Andrew Mroczkowski, Conencticut Department of Transportation
Project Coordinator, Maina Tran, CTC & Associates