To develop and validate concrete mixtures capable of developing high early strength without detrimentally affecting their long-term durability. The mixtures are for use in projects using accelerated bridge construction methods.
Progress/Accomplishments Through March 31, 2015
- Initiated the literature review by collecting and summarizing research reports and journal papers.
- Reviewed ASTM/AASHTO materials testing standards that are applicable to the project.
- Prepared a survey that was sent to New England State DOTs and precast/prestressed producer members of the PCI Northeast Bridge Technical Committee.
- Met at the PCI Northeast Bridge Technical Committee to discuss project and seek feedback.
- Executed a kickoff meeting with members of the NETC Project Technical Committee.
- Compiled and analyzed responses to the survey that was sent to New England State DOTs and precast/prestressed producer members of the PCI Northeast Bridge Technical Committee, including previously used high-early strength concrete mix designs and specifications.
- Began to prepare concrete mix design specifications based on the literature review and feedback from surveys.
- Began a written summary of the literature review including main findings of relevant research reports, technical papers and survey
- Tested preliminary concrete mix designs and compared test results using compressive strength tests on 4 by 8 in. cylinders and work-ability of each trial
- Adjusted existing concrete mix design specifications based on preliminary test results; design specifications will continue to be modified throughout the duration of the
Technical Committee Members
- Maura Sullivan (Chairperson), Massachusetts Department of Transportation
- Dan John, New Hampshire Department of Transportation
- Rob Young, Vermont Agency of Transportation
- Christopher Hart, Rhode Island Department of Transportation
- Ali Jamalipour, Connecticut Department of Transportation
- José Lima, Rhode Island Department of Transportation
- Michael Redmond, Maine Department of Transportation