PROJECT NUMBER: 15-3
PROJECT TITLE: Moisture Susceptibility Testing for Hot Mix Asphalt Pavements in New England
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR(S) & UNIVERSITY(S): Eshan Dave, University of New Hampshire
AGREEMENT TERM: 8/1/2016 – 7/31/2018
PROJECT OBJECTIVES: This project will investigate the extent of HMA pavement damage due to moisture in New England and develop recommendations for test procedures that correlate well with actual field performance.
Tasks could include:
- Identify several pavements or mixes from each state that appear to be prone to moisture damage as well as mixes that perform well.
- Document the moisture testing already being conducted by New England state DOT’s and relevant studies that support this testing.
- Obtain samples and compare the effectiveness of T 283 (the most widely used test) with T 324 (Hamburg) and the method developed using MIST-conditioned specimens in the AMPT. See which method correlates best with observed field performance.
- Recommend best practices for moisture testing of HMA pavements for New England mixes.
- Conduct testing on mixes with lime additive and liquid anti-strip to compare performance.
REPORTS/PAPERS PUBLISHED, PRESENTATIONS MADE RELATING TO THIS PROJECT FROM THE START OF THE PROJECT THROUGH END OF PROJECT:
QUARTERLY PROGRESS REPORTS:
- 2018 Quarter 3 Report (July 1 – Sept. 30)
- 2018 Quarter 2 Report (April 1 – June 30)
- 2018 Quarter 1 Report (Jan. 1 – March 31)
- 2017 Quarter 4 Report (Oct. 1 – Dec. 31)
- 2017 Quarter 3 Report (July 1 – Sept. 30)
- 2017 Quarter 2 Report (April 1 – June 30)
- 2017 Quarter 1 Report (Jan. 1 – March 31)
- 2016 Quarter 4 Report (Oct. 1 – Dec. 31)
TECHNICAL COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
Chairperson Derek Nener-Plante: Maine Department of Transportation
Andy Willette: Vermont Agency of Transportation
Beran Black: New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Eliana Carlson: Connecticut Department of Transportation
Mark Brum: Massachusetts Department of Transportation
Michael Byrne: Rhode Island Department of Transportation